Pastor's Corner from the May 2017 Newsletter

The second Sunday in May is Mother’s Day. (Thank you, Captain Obvious!)  April 25th marked the 20th anniversary of my mother’s passing. I thank God so very much for Christian parents and the biblical foundation they provided to me and my brothers. As I worked on Easter messages, I came across an article that Mom had given to me a long time ago. I share it with you this month to honor my mother and her life that spoke humbly, but clearly, of God’s gracious love. The author isn’t listed and Mom didn’t include the source from which she clipped it. I have edited it only slightly for clarification. I realize that it isn’t politically correct, but I think it speaks truthfully about a one-room schoolhouse in Appalachia in years gone by.

 He Took My Whipping for Me
     Years ago, there was a certain school which no teacher could handle. The boys were so rough that the teachers resigned one after the other. A young grey-eyed teacher applied for the job and the old director said, “Young feller, you’re in for an awful beatin’!”  He replied, “I’ll risk it.” The teacher appeared for duty and said, “Good morning boys, we have come to conduct school!” They yelled at the top of their voices. “Now, I want a good school, but I confess I do not know how, unless you help me. Suppose we have a few rules. You tell me and I will write them on the blackboard.”
     One fellow yelled, “No stealin’!” Another yelled, “On time.” Finally, ten rules appeared.      
 “Now, said the teacher, a law is no good unless there is a penalty attached. What shall we do with the one who breaks them?”
      “Beat him across the back ten times without his coat on.”
      “That is pretty severe, boys. Are you ready to stand by it?” There was another yell and the teacher said, “School comes to order!”
     In a day or so, “Big Tom” found his dinner was stolen. Upon inquiry, the thief was located – a little hungry fellow about ten.
     The next morning, the teacher announced, “We have found the thief and he must be punished according to your rule – ten stripes across the back! Jim, come up here!”
     The little fellow, trembling, came up slowly with a big coat fastened up to the neck and pleaded, “Teacher, you can lick me as hard as you like, but please don’t make me take my coat off!”
     “Take that coat off; you helped make the rules!”
     “Oh, teacher, don’t make me!” He began to unbutton and what did the teacher behold! The lad had no shirt on, but braces on his bony body.
     “How can I whip this child?” he thought. “But I must do something if I keep this school.” Everything was as quiet as death. “How come you to be without a shirt, Jim?”
     He replied, “My father died and mother is very poor. I have only one shirt to my name, and she is washing that today and I wore my brother’s big coat to keep warm.”
     The teacher, with rod in hand, hesitated. Just then, “Big Tom” jumped to his feet and said, “Teacher, if you don’t object, I will take Jim’s licking for him.”
     “Very well, there is a certain law that one can become a substitute for another. Are you all agreed?” Off came Tom’s coat, and after five hard strokes, the rod broke! The teacher bowed his head in his hands, and thought, “How can I finish this awful task?”
     Then he heard the entire school sobbing, and what did he see?” Little Jim had reached up and caught Tom with both arms around the neck. “Tom, I was awful hungry. Tom, I’ll love you till I die for taking my licking for me!”
     Friend, the bible leaves little doubt about our sinful condition. All of us have sinned (1) and deserve eternal punishment! But Jesus Christ took our scourging for us (2), died in our stead, and now offers to clothe us with His garments of salvation. Won’t you fall at His feet and tell Him you will love Him forever? “The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” (3)
 -Selected

(1) Romans 3:23   (2) Isaiah 53:5   (3) Romans 6:23

Love should be our motivation. Because God loves each of us enough to ask His Son to take our punishment for us, we should embody that sacrificial love and pass it on to others. As an adult, looking back on my childhood, I can see now how much my mother gave to her boys, as well as, how much she gave up for her sons.

Blessings,

Martin

Comments