Pastor's Corner April 2017

Easter is in April this year and thinking of this greatest event in all of existence brings me to prayer.  Wanting to pray as earnestly as I possibly can, I turn to the model that Jesus taught His disciples (Luke 6:9-13, KNJV).

  "In this manner, therefore, pray."

  "Our Father in heaven" - The Creator and Authority over and above all things is a loving parent to each one who calls on Him.

I will praise Him for who He is.

  "Hallowed by Your name" - More than the title, it is His character and actions that we praise (hallow).

I will honor and worship Him for He is Truth and Love.

  "Your kingdom come.  Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven" - Accepting God's grace and the forgiveness offered through Christ's sacrifice brings the Holy Spirit to dwell in our hearts, so His kingdom comes to earth.  But when Jesus returns, there will be a new earth and God will reign in all His glory.  The Almighty cannot fail.

I will thank Him with a grateful heart for all He provides:  His presence, possessions, protection, knowledge, opportunities, guidance, loved ones, and so much more.

  "And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors" - 1 John 1:9 assures us that, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."  Presenting our sins to God keeps us mindful of His ongoing mercy.  This is the one item that Jesus elaborated on after He finished teaching the model.  In verse 15, Christ emphasizes, "But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses."

I will thank and praise God for His faithfulness and mercy and will pass on His kindness and forgiveness to my fellow man.

  "And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one." - Trials and troubles are part of this life and temptation is ever present.  The Lord strengthens those who seek His help.  Battling against righteousness is "the evil one" who Peter describes as a "roaring lion" seeking to devour the weak ones.

I will seek contentment in the Lord and His way and will surrender my desire to His leading.  I will strive to avoid temptation drawing closer to God.

  "For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever." - Forever is the perspective that we need to keep in the forefront of our decisions and priorities.  Not what is most expedient for me today.  Not what benefits me the most for the moment.  But choices based on the everlasting power and glory of God's holy kingdom.

I will serve and obey Him with eternal joy.

Our Savior gave His life for me; I owe Him my best.

Blessings, Martin

May all your prayers be answered and may you feel the Lord's presence near you.. not only for Easter but always.  Happy Easter.

Comments